Monday, October 5, 2009

Golf and Basketball


Greetings,

It's been a while since I last wrote so I wanted to take a moment to check in and see how everyone is doing. NBA Training Camp has begun which means Midnight Madness is soon to follow and eventually High School try-outs are soon to follow. If you've ever heard me speak in person you know how I feel about the word try-out. If you honestly feel as if you need to try-out to make a high school team you haven't put in the necessary time, effort and preparation required for success. Stop reading this and go practice.

On the subject of time and energy, I have developed quite a passion for golf that I am fully pursuing in my spare time. In my effort to become a better golfer I have come to a very interesting crossroads in my thoughts and my words. As bad as many of you want to become exceptional basketball players I would love to become an exceptional golfer. Each weekend when I have free time and weather permitting I run to the golf course with dreams and ambition of shooting in the 70's. Truth is most times I'm in the 90's with my scores. It's frustrating and I wonder why I can't get my score down in the 70's like the pros. Then the light goes off... the last time I played golf was last week, the last time I went somewhere and did strength and flexibility exercises for golf was never, the last time I found an empty field and took 2,000 shots from multiple distances and angles was never, the last time I sat down and analyzed film of my swing was never. 

Do you notice a correlation here? The most important part of becoming a good golfer is to hit a lot of balls, covering a lot of different shots, under some type of tutelage. That is, practice, practice, practice. Exactly, this is precisely how the majority of you approach the game of basketball. Week to week playing games without a structured training program, without hours and hours of practicing shots from multiple angles and distances. Somehow you leave each game surprised at the outcome. I am taking my medicine and this winter you will find me in the gym working on Golf-Specific Exercises and finding a place to hit thousands of shots from multiple angles, distances and degrees of difficulty. I bet I will become a better golfer before you become a better basketball player.




2 On 1 Shot Recognition Drill

2 offensive players on the wing, 1 defensive player under the basket. Drill starts when defense passes to offensive player on the perimeter. Offense reacts to the close-out. If defense is late take the jump-shot, if defense stops the ball and prevents dribble penetration to the rim offense must kick out to the open player. Defense must react and close-out and box out while contesting the shooter. Encourage players to verbally communicate when to shoot or pass. The maximum number of passes for this drill is 2 including the initial pass from the defense. Rotate positions and rotate offense and defense. Play games to 10 on both sides of the floor. To make this drill more difficult use a coach or manager as a passer under the basket. They will decide to pass right or left, as well as faster or slower pass that determines quick shot or dribble penetration and dish.


Don't Forget Your Ladder

Every workout after the Dynamic Warm-Up we try to incorporate 5-10 minutes of The Agility Ladder. It's a great way to improve your Agility, Balance and Coordination. Here are a couple of basic patterns you can try next time  you're in the gym:

No comments: